After reading the first article, the idea of Siommel(2018) that learning and teaching are subjective got me thinking about my learning experience.  I agree with her point.  Well, there are a lot of ways to receive knowledge, whether face to face, digital pedagogy, or chalkboard pedagogy(Siommel). However, they are not going to determine how we learn. Learning is a process of gaining knowledge and processing them to become our knowledge. Since our brain is not machined, this process is taking place subjectively.  As a result, different learning tools will not make a difference in students learning efficiency.  To compare traditional face to face teaching class with taking many online classes recently, I have noticed that learning efficiency and learning outcomes are most likely to be affected by the concentration during a specific time and the professors’ teaching style.

After reading through the second article, I found the concept of blended learning is quite interesting. After being introduced to this concept, I thought about Web-based technology(Coursespace) and traditional face to face class from my learning experience(Vaughan) as well as the advantage of this kind of interactive learning. With access to Coursespace, students can easily check and review the practices and additional information anytime, which is much more convenient and fixable than if students are given plenty of hard copy materials in classes. Vaughan also talked about the importance of “organic integration”. To achieve the best learning experience, online text-based, and face to face synchronous classes need to be designed into a course by “thoughtfully” evaluating the educational needs for it(Vaughan).

After reading the third article, the main concept of privacy really drew me attention. I think privacy always needs to be protected. Along with these personalized learning applications being wisely used, the issue of privacy has been brought forward in which became a controversial topic(Regan&Jesse). This article has six concerns about ethical issues listed and described each one. These concerns needed to be aware of by people who use them. Meanwhile, I think the newly developed applications should be continually developing and improving, preventing these concerns from happening.

Morris, S. M., & Stommel, J. (2018). An urgency of teachers: The work of critical digital pedagogy. Hybrid Pedagogy.

https://criticaldigitalpedagogy.pressbooks.com/chapter/learning-is-not-a-mechanism/

Vaughan, N. D., Garrison, D. R., & Cleveland-Innes, M. (2013). Teaching in blended learning environments: Creating and sustaining communities of inquiry. AU Press. [Chapter 1]

https://read.aupress.ca/projects/teaching-in-blended-learning-environments

Regan, P., & Jesse, J. (2019). Ethical challenges of edtech, big data and personalized learning: Twentyfirst century student sorting and tracking. Ethics and Information Technology, 21(3), 167-179. DOI: 10.1007/s10676-018-9492-2

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10676-018-9492-2#Sec6